Saturday, February 3, 2007

Free Furniture, Oh My!

Having a dirty, undecorated house can easily make you feel depressed. Coming home to a clean house you are proud of can really set the stage for improvements and standards in the rest of your life. However, if you are broke like me you do not have the money to go out and buy new stuff, even to somewhere inexpensive like Target or Ikea. When I get to feeling down about my surroundings it is easy to go out and buy something new, even to think of which credit card you can put it on. You think this thing you will buy will make you feel better about your life and will help you in other areas. For example, thinking if only I had some exercise equipment I would exercise and finally be able to make my life better. That is the wrong way to think although it is natural to fall into that trap, especially the way that advertising is designed to make you think you need something in order to make your life better. So anyway, change actually comes from inside you. You can exercise just by walking around the block or walking up and down your stairs twenty times. You have to make do with what you have. When you have proven you can stick to your goals, for instance after you have walked every day for 6 months, then maybe you can get that piece of equipment. If you have the money.

So anyway, today a friend of the family offered to give me couch they no longer wanted. The 3-seater couch was not the style or color I would have chosen for myself but it was neat and presentable, and it would look a lot better than the sofa I have now which has holes in the cushions. So I brought it back to my place. As soon as I give the room a good cleaning I will be bringing it into the house. Hopefully I will learn to love this sofa but if I don't, I still truely appreciate having a newer, free sofa and it just gives me more incentive to structure my life in a way that I can afford an actual new couch sooner.

No comments: